I did finish cutting out that new quilt and I was so excited to start sewing.
I took half the large triangles and half the trapezoids and all of the blue diamonds and got started. I chain pieced one large triangle to a trapezoid and then the two matching trapezoids each got a diamond on the end. So organized. All the pieces to each block were together.
It made a really, really long chain of pieces!
Next I snipped them apart; stacking them carefully in order so things would stay together for the next step.
The iron was plugged in and I started pressing. I even took the time to figure out the pressing directions so that every piece would fit the next nicely. I pressed the first wedge away from the big triangle. So exciting! Then I pressed the diamond towards the wedge and oops!
Yep, I’d sewn that triangle on wrong. I had sewn all 117 triangles on wrong.
Two days later I had ripped out every seam and re-sewn them correctly and gotten them all pressed. I am now really good at un-sewing!
Let’s just say that detour took a little steam out of the excitement of a new project.
I moved on to quilting another preemie quilt. Wednesday is guild meeting and we’re turning in our second quarter quilts for the hospital. I did finish this one up and managed to do it all correctly so no more seam ripper work was necessary.
It also used up every last bit of that fabric collection I had. Three quilts out of the same fabrics is definitely a record for me.
Get some quilt inspiration over at Judy’s. Hopefully they had a little less seam ripper work this week!
- – marcella